Friday 7 November 2008

'Floating Rib Syndrome'

A recent visit to the doctor left me with an unusual find.

I was diagnosed with 'Floating Rib Syndrome'. A condition which has been causing me serious pain for the last few weeks. Happy it wasn't some serious kidney condition I walked out relieved. Only then to think... What is a floating rib?

A 'floating rib' is a rib strayed from the bone socket. often the socket is worn or the rib has loosened from injury. This condition is very painful. The attached muscles are very sensitive and tender and are given to extreme hard work and pain attempting to subdue the wayward bone.

Heat can be applied as a temporary relief but a prime consistent reliever are the hands of a doctor or masseuse who can manipulate the bone back into the socket.

I find the 'floating rib syndrome' very similar to church life. Rather I refer to it as 'floating person syndrome'. Both you and I know many people with this syndrome.

Let me explain...

Just like the floating rib, a 'floating person' is an individual who digress from the socket of 'committed Christian'. Either they stray from worn beliefs or from emotional injury. Given up and no longer thought a part of the body, they wander back and forth going nowhere ad achieving nothing. In doing so they cause considerable pain for the leaders, friends and family around them.

Those around them can temporarily relieve their condition by applying heat and showing love and acceptance, Yet this is short lived and again they are wandering further and increasing pain. It is only the 'Hand of God' able to slowly massage and manipulate these 'floaters' back into place.

So what is the purpose of this thought I hear you ponder....

Both you and I know 'floaters' and no doubt have endured much pain and frustration from them. We must remember that yes we can and should show love, but we are not required to fix their situations. Our love and acceptance married with Gods working hands is the ultimate combination.

Like my floating rib. I don't ignore it, I haven't removed it and I don't pass it off as useless. Rather I endure the pain for I know without it I am a lesser man. I request the help of the doctor and accept his wisdom.

We cannot ignore, remove or pass off. We must accept, hope and believe that these floaters can be reunited with the body, because without them the church is a lesser being.

- Reuben leigh Skewes

4 comments:

  1. I too have floating rib syndrome. I coughed so hard while being sick from bronchitis that I felt the rib dislocate. That was almost two years ago. Since then I have been applying heat (a heating pad) and the pain has decreased some. I can not put anything tight around my waist... Like a belt...as it causes the pain to return. Also, losing weight around the waistline (a problem you may or may not have) helps considerably. I've been told that it can take up to 7 years to heal though I have seen improvement over time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, don't carry heavy bags or laptops...etc as this irritates the muscle / cartilage around the ribs

    ReplyDelete